- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup dried red or green lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2⁄3 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cashews, for garnish
- Naan bread, for serving
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and sweet potato. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the onion begins to soften.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, apples, and tomato. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add the curry powder, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom, pepper, and thyme and mix well to combine.
4. Add the lentils and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes
5. Using a blender or an immersion blender, puree about three- quarters of the soup. Leave the rest of the soup chunky.
6. Return the pureed soup to the pot with the rest of the soup, if necessary.
7. Stir in the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with cashews and serve with naan bread.