- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped finely, including some of the tender green tops
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (5-ounce) can solid tuna packed in water, very well drained
- 2 teaspoons paprika or cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
1. For the tartar sauce: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, relish, lemon zest, lemon juice, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Stir well and set aside.
2. For the croquettes: In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, ½ cup of the bread crumbs, the milk, ﬂour, green onion, and salt until well blended. Add the tuna and 1 teaspoon of the paprika and stir very well with a fork, breaking up the ﬁsh into very small pieces. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a deep skillet or wok, heat 2 inches of vegetable oil over medium-high heat to 350ºF.
4. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup panko and 1 teaspoon paprika.
5. Use two spoons or an ice cream scoop to divide the tuna mixture into 8 portions and drop each into the bowl of crumbs, turning gently to coat all sides.
6. When the oil is hot, fry the croquettes in batches until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Scoop from the oil onto layers of paper towels to drain while you ﬁnish frying the rest. Serve hot, with the tartar sauce on the side.