- Servings: 5-6
- Prep Time: 25-30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 9 ounces fresh spinach
- 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 2 cups)
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2¼ cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1¼ cups shredded Italian- blend or mozzarella cheese
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt Freshly ground
- black pepper 1 large egg
- 1 (12-ounce) box jumbo pasta shells, cooked to al dente
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Fresh basil, chopped or torn, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a 9 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a medium sauté pan, heat the olive oil. Add the spinach and cook just until wilted, 2–3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and coarsely chop.
3. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, chicken, ricotta cheese, ¾ cup each of the Parmesan and Italian-blend cheeses, the nutmeg, salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and the egg. Mix well.
4. Spoon the ﬁlling into 18–20 shells. Set aside.
5. Melt the butter and cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the remaining 1½ cups Parmesan cheese and simmer, whisking often, until the sauce has thickened and is creamy. Add a few pinches of pepper.
6. Ladle half the sauce into the bottom of the baking dish. Place the ﬁlled shells on top of the sauce. Ladle the remaining sauce over the shells and top with the remaining ½ cup Italian-blend cheese.
7. Bake for 20 minutes until the casserole is hot and the cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
To cook the chicken, place the breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.