- Yield: 48 cookies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 2 hours chilling time
- Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ½ cup butter-flavored vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt 1 large egg
- 2¼ cups cake flour, plus extra for flouring a work surface
- ¼–½ cup Demerara sugar, sugar sprinkles, or ground nuts
1. In a stand mixer ﬁtted with the paddle attachment, cream the granulated sugar, butter, and shortening on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until very light and ﬂuffy. Add the vanilla, salt, and egg and mix well. Gradually add the cake ﬂour, scraping down the bowl once or twice, and mix to make a stiff dough.
2. On a ﬂoured work surface, form the dough into two logs 1½ inches in diameter, rolling them ﬁrmly into a perfectly round shape. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap or waxed paper and chill for 2 hours or up to 1 week.
3. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Cut the logs crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices and place 1½ inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cookies are ﬁrm and the bottoms are a light golden brown. Sprinkle with the Demerara sugar, sugar sprinkles, or ground nuts.
5. Cool on the baking sheets set on wire racks for 2 minutes, then transfer the cookies to the racks to cool completely.
6. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days until ready to serve.