- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 lemongrass stalk, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 (12-ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh basil leaves
1. In a medium pot, combine 1½ cups water and the rice and cook according to the package instructions. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, salt, and black pepper. Heat until the shrimp are cooked, about 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp and set aside.
3. Put the garlic, onion, and bell pepper in the pot and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Stir in the ginger and lemongrass and cook for 1 minute.
5. Whisk in the curry paste, then stir in the coconut milk, broth, brown sugar, and soy sauce.
6. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the lemongrass.
7. Stir in the rice, shrimp, lime juice, and basil. Ladle into bowls and serve.