Spring is in the air, and there’s no better way to brush away that winter gloominess than with a sweet lemon dessert! The glaze adds an extra dose of sweetness to each slice without bogging the cake down with a mountain of frosting.
- Yield: Serves 8–10
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- For the cake: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and granulated sugar at medium speed 2 to 3 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs until combined. Reduce the speed to low, then add the flour mixture and poppy seeds and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and smooth the top. Bake for 30 minutes until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Move to a serving plate.
- For the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Pour the glaze over the warm cake, spreading it with a spatula to drizzle over the edge. Let it stand until the glaze is set, about 15 minutes.
- Top with the orange zest. Slice and serve.