- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 2 eggplants, each about 8 inches long
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, red or green or both, sliced ¼ inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF and lightly coat an 8 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Slice the eggplants ¼ inch thick. Arrange them in a large colander set over a large bowl and sprinkle liberally with the salt; let stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. In a large, heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until softened but not browned, about 10 minutes.
4. Lay the eggplant slices on a paper towel–lined baking sheet and pat dry. Brush both sides of each slice with some of the ﬂavored oil in the skillet.
5. Starting at one end of the casserole dish, begin layering the eggplant, tomatoes, mozzarella, and bell pepper, alternating each item until you reach the other end of the casserole.
6. Grind some black pepper over the dish, then scatter the onions and garlic over the top. Add the tomato sauce and Parmesan, and cover the dish with foil.
7. Bake for 40 minutes, until the eggplant is soft and the casserole is bubbling. Add the parsley and basil on top and serve.
Salting the eggplant brings moisture to its surface and removes any slightly bitter ﬂavor.