These adorable winter wonderland bites are sure to be the star of your Christmas party spread. Since these don’t require baking, it’s a fun activity to have any small kids help with. Cut up all the ingredients ahead of time and watch as they assemble the penguin friends themselves!
- Makes: 24 penguins
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Chill Time: 5–10 minutes
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 (6-ounce) can small black olives, drained
- 1 (7.25-ounce) can jumbo black olives, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- Decorative cocktail picks
- 1 to 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, for decoration
- Cut the carrot crosswise 6 inches from the thicker end. Cut a small V-shaped notch down the length of the thicker piece of carrot. Slice into ¼-inch-thick disks. These will be the penguins’ feet. Cut the smaller end of the carrot into 24 matchsticks to become the beaks of the penguins.
- Place the matchstick beaks into the hole of the small olives to create penguin heads. To create the body of the penguin, cut a small wedge out of the jumbo olives. Carefully stuff the cavity of the olive with cream cheese. Once all the olives are stuffed, place them in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to firm up.
- To assemble the penguins, slide a head onto the toothpick, followed by the body. Press the tip of the toothpick into one of the feet disks. Display on a bed of shredded mozzarella “snow” and serve immediately.