While avocados have certainly cemented themselves into the hearts (and diets) of the nation, chickpeas are still gaining steam. If you’re looking for a way to add this superfood into your routine, this sandwich is the perfect start. Chickpeas are full of protein, healthy carbs, and fiber, making them an ideal substitute for meat in a sandwich.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: N/A
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large ripe avocado
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices hearty bread, such as 12-grain, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- Baby spinach leaves
- 2 tomatoes, cut into thick slices
- In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas and avocado. Smash with a potato masher until well mixed and at the desired consistency. Stir in the fresh lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- On each slice of toasted bread, spread the basil pesto. Top 4 slices with the spinach leaves and equal amounts of the chickpea mixture. Place the tomato slices on top. Sprinkle the tomato slices with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining toasted bread slices, cut the sandwiches in half, and serve.