With the weather starting to heat up, it’s always handy to have a stash of recipes on hand that don’t require the stove or oven. This no-bake cake relies solely on the fridge, making it easy to assemble even as the mercury in the thermometer creeps ever higher. This is the kind of casual dessert that you can prep on a Sunday and enjoy all throughout the week!
- Yield: Serves 10
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Chill Time: 4 hours
- 3½ cups heavy cream
- 2 (8-ounce) containers mascarpone cream, room temperature
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 90 shortbread cookies
- 2 (16-ounce) packages strawberries, hulled and sliced, plus extra strawberries for serving
- 1 banana, sliced
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the cream, mascarpone, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and salt together until the mixture forms medium-stiff peaks.
- Spread a thin layer of the cream mixture in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and cover with a layer of shortbread cookies. Spread one-quarter of the remaining cream mixture over the cookies and top with one-third of the strawberries. Cover the strawberries with another layer of cookies, then spread with one-quarter of the cream and one-third of the strawberries. Repeat with the remaining shortbread, one-quarter of the cream, and the remaining strawberries. Spread the remaining cream on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours. Serve with extra strawberries and fresh basil leaves.