- Yield: 16 bars
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 4 hours chilling time
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 (16-ounce) box graham crackers
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
1. For the crust: Remove one sleeve of the graham crackers and ﬁnely crush in a food processor or by hand. Set aside with the remaining crackers, left whole.
2. In a large heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. In a separate bowl, combine the granulated sugar, egg, and milk and mix well. Whisk the mixture into the melted butter. Bring to a boil, whisking continuously until the mixture thickens, then remove from the heat.
3. Line the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with a layer of whole graham crackers.
4. Stir the walnuts, shredded coconut, crushed crackers, and vanilla into the butter mixture and spoon it over the layer of crackers in the baking dish in a smooth layer. Top with another layer of whole graham crackers and press them gently into the ﬁlling.
5. For the frosting: In a stand mixer ﬁtted with the paddle attachment, whip the cream cheese on medium-high until smooth. Add the butter and whip until ﬂuffy, then gradually add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Stir in enough of the milk to make an easily spreadable frosting. Spread over the graham cracker layer using an offset spatula to make a smooth top.
6. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight to soften the layers. Keep in the refrigerator, and when ready to serve, remove from the refrigerator and cut into bars while cold.