- Servings: 1 pie; serves 6 to 8
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Chill Time: 2 hours
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed, trimmed, and halved
- 1 store-bought (or homemade) chocolate cookie pie crust
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2½ cups half-and-half
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ tablespoon rum extract 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional strawberries for garnish (optional)
1. Place the strawberry halves in a single layer in the bottom of the pie crust.
2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, ginger, nutmeg, and salt over medium heat.
3. Whisk in the egg yolks to create a thick paste. Gradually whisk in the half-and-half until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
4. Add the chocolate and whisk until combined. Add the rum and vanilla extracts. Cool the mixture for 5 minutes.
5. Pour the ﬁlling over the strawberries and up to the top of the crust. Chill the pie for 2 hours or until set.
6. Garnish with additional strawberries, if desired.