The worst part about apple pie is how it only ever seems to be eaten on special occasions. You’re sitting down at the dining room table with your whole family after a holiday meal and out comes the apple pie you indulge in once or twice a year. Eating pie can be a whole ordeal, but you should be able to enjoy it all year long. That’s why you’re going to love this Mason jar version. You can put it together in under 30 minutes, and since it’s in a jar, you can enjoy it anywhere whether you’re mingling at a party or in bed watching a movie.
- Yield: Four 16-ounce jars
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- ¼ cup sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 8 large oatmeal raisin cookies
- Vanilla ice cream
- Store-bought caramel sauce
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the apples, sugar, salt, and nutmeg. Cook until the apples are soft and a syrup forms, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Crumble half the cookies and divide equally among four Mason jars.
- Layer the cooked apples over the cookie crumbles, dividing them equally. Crumble the remaining half of the cookies. Repeat, layering the cookie crumbles and apples one more time.
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce. Serve immediately.