- Serves: 12
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
For the Cake
- 6 eggs, separated
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ tablespoon lemon zest, divided
- 1¾ cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Filling
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup powdered sugar and fresh lemon slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have a 10-inch, straight-sided tube pan (see note) ready but un-greased.
- Separate eggs, setting aside the yolks, and whip the whites in an electric mixer until foamy. Slowly add the sugar and cream of tartar and continue to whip on high until the beater leaves distinct tracks and glossy, stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine water, vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon of the lemon zest with the reserved egg yolks.
- Place the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl, and stir with a whisk or fork to combine well.
- Using an electric mixer, begin by mixing the wet ingredients until combined, then slowly add the dry ingredients with the machine running. Stop and scrape down the sides completely and continue until everything is well mixed.
- Fold together the batter with the egg white mixture just until there are no large swirls of the yellow egg mixture it does not have to be completely mixed.
- Spoon batter into the cake pan and bake for 1 hour, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Immediately turn the cake in the pan upside down and either rest it on the pans tabs or set it on top of a bottle neck until completely cool, about an hour. (See note)
- While cake is cooling, prepare the filling: Use an electric mixer to whip the cream to firm peaks. In another bowl, whip the cream cheese until it is smooth. Add the lemon juice and zest, then slowly add the powdered sugar until completely mixed. Fold together the cream cheese mixture with the whipped cream and chill for 30 minutes before assembling the cake.
- When cake has cooled, use a table knife to run around the edges and the tube to loosen the cake, then tip it out onto a large plate. Use a serrated knife to cut the cake horizontally into 3 layers. Spread the filling between the layers and chill the cake.
- Before serving, top the cake with sifted powdered sugar and lemon slices, if desired.