Cake mix can almost be considered a misnomer for how versatile it is! One of our favorite test kitchen tricks is to use cake mix to make quick homemade cookies. Cake mix cookies tend to be a bit lighter and fluffier than your standard cookie, so you’re not breaking a tooth just biting into it!
- Yield: 40 cookies
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8–10 minutes
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box lemon cake mix
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer ﬁtted with the paddle attachment, combine the cake mix, whipped topping, egg, and lemon zest. Mix on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until well combined, pausing once to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Put the confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl. Using a cookie scoop, shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in the confectioners’ sugar and place them on the prepared baking sheets 1½ inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cookies are lightly golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from the pans and storing in plastic storage containers . . . or eating!