- Servings: 12
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- 3 (14.5-ounce) boxes gingerbread cake mix
- Vegetable oil as needed for the cake mix
- Eggs as needed for the cake mix
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
1. For the cake: Preheat the oven and make the gingerbread cake according to the package directions, using three 8-inch round cake pans (one for each box of cake mix).
2. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
3. For the frosting: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with a chilled bowl and whisk attachment, beat the cream and confectioners’ sugar until medium peaks form. Transfer to a medium bowl. Place the cream cheese and vanilla in the empty mixer bowl and whip until smooth. Gradually add the whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture and whip just until combined.
4. Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread a generous amount of the frosting over the top, then set another cake layer in place and repeat. Add the last layer and frost the top and sides of the cake. Slice and serve.
Each cake mix makes one 8-inch cake. You can use your favorite gingerbread cake recipe instead of using a box mix.