- Servings: 8
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (24-ounce) can canned tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 (16-ounce) package of lasagna noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-ounce) package fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 (6-ounce) package Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato sauce. Season with 1 tablespoon salt, the pepper, and oregano. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with the egg and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Continue with the following layers: noodles, 1/2 the ricotta mixture, 1/2 cup meat sauce, 1/2 of the mozzarella, another row of noodles, the remaining ricotta mixture, ½ cup of meat sauce, the Parmesan cheese, another row of noodles, the remaining meat sauce, and the remaining mozzarella.
Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.