Gingerbread people are the ultimate decorative cookie. We recommend making a batch of these ahead of time and getting a bunch of sprinkles, icing, and candies together to create a fun experience for the kids!
- Makes: 24 gingerbread people
- Prep Time: 15–20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8–10 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for the work surface
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed until creamy. Add the egg and beat well. Add the molasses, vanilla, and orange zest and beat until combined. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture slowly, mixing until a dough is formed.
- Divide the dough in half. Refrigerate 1 half while you roll the other half on a lightly floured surface to ¼ inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out gingerbread people, transfer them to the prepared baking sheet, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then carefully place the cookies on a wire rack to cool further. Repeat with the remaining dough. Decorate and serve.