- Servings: 24-36 rolls
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Butter a 9-inch square pan. Cut twenty-four to thirty-six 4-inch squares from parchment paper.
2. In a heavy 4-quart saucepan, thoroughly combine the cocoa powder, sugar, and salt.
3. Gradually stir in the milk with a whisk.
4. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring continuously. Once the mixture boils, stop stirring.
5. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan, ensuring that the bulb is not sitting on the bottom.
6. Boil, without stirring, until the mixture reaches 230°F (soft ball stage).
7. Remove from the heat and add the butter and vanilla, stirring with a wooden spoon. The mixture will hiss and bubble vigorously when you add these ingredients, so be careful.
8. Pour into the prepared pan and place in the fridge. Once completely cool, remove from the fridge and divide into 24 to 36 equal portions. Roll each piece between your palms into the fudge candy shape. Once shaped, wrap in the prepared parchment squares.
9. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.