- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: N/A
- 1 loaf crusty bread, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2–3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1–2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 anchovy fillets Juice of 1–2 lemons 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried, and torn into pieces
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese Freshly ground black
- pepper (optional)
1. For the croutons: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
3. Bake for 10 minutes, until the cubes are golden.
4. For the dressing: Fill a small saucepan with enough water to cover the egg and bring the water to a boil. Add the egg. Turn off the heat and let the egg sit for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the egg.
5. In a blender, combine the garlic, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, anchovy ﬁllets, and lemon juice. Process until smooth.
6. While the blender is running, add the olive oil a bit at a time until emulsiﬁed.
7. Add the coddled egg, black pepper, and red pepper ﬂakes and process until thick.
8. For the salad: Place the lettuce in a large bowl. Add the dressing, using only enough to lightly coat the lettuce, and toss to coat.
9. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and top with the croutons.
10. Add a few grinds of black pepper and serve.