- Servings: 9-12
- Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus 2 hours chill time
- Cook Time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
- Vegetable oil as needed for the cake mix
- Eggs as needed for the cake mix
- 4 cups milk
- 2 (3.4-ounce) boxes banana cream instant pudding mix
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract 20 vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
1. For the cake: Preheat the oven and make the yellow cake according to the package directions, using a 9×13-inch baking dish. Let it cool in the baking dish for about 30 minutes. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the cake, making sure the holes go to the bottom.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the milk and pudding mix until smooth. Pour the pudding over the cake, spreading with the back of the wooden spoon to help push the pudding into the holes. Refrigerate for about 2 hours, until the cake has absorbed the pudding and is set.
3. For the topping: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream and confectioners’ sugar until medium-stiff peaks form. Fold in the rum extract. Spread the top of the cake evenly with the whipped cream. Sprinkle the crushed vanilla wafers over the whipped cream. Top with the banana slices. Slice the cake and serve.