There’s nothing more magical than enjoying the very first snow of a winter season. There’s a crispness to the air that’s unlike anything else. These homemade cookies embody the spirit of that first snow with a light dusting of confectioners’ sugar on top for a touch of sweetness.
- Yield: 24 cookies
- Prep Time: 10–15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10–12 minutes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for dusting
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cake flour
- 1½ cups finely ground almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and ﬂuffy. Add the salt, almond extract, vanilla extract, all-purpose ﬂour, cake ﬂour, and ground almonds and mix well. If the dough is too soft to handle, chill it for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Using a cookie scoop, shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool.
- Put a few tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar in a bowl and roll the cookies in the sugar until fully coated. Place on a plate and serve.