- Servings: 4-6
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus Chill Time
- Cook Time: N/A
- 6 hard boiled eggs, cooled, peeled and chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped and including some of the green top (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 large stalk celery, cut into fine dice (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 slices firm white or wheat bread, crusts removed if desired
- Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried well
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, pickle relish and mustard. Add chopped eggs, onion and celery and mix well. Add salt and pepper and stir.
- Chill in a covered container until ready to serve or make into sandwiches.
- Cut crusts from bread to form perfect squares, spread 2 heaping tablespoons egg salad on 9 of the slices.
- Top with lettuce cut to fit and stack them: bread, filling, lettuce, bread, filling, lettuce.
- Top with the final bread squares and cut in two diagonally; use a serrated knife and gently press down on the sandwich to make it hold together.
- Chill, well wrapped, until ready to serve.