- Yield: 30–36 cookies
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- 1 (10-ounce) jar stemless maraschino cherries
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2–3 drops liquid red food coloring
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 (12-ounce) bag milk chocolate kisses
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Drain the maraschino cherries, reserving 1 tablespoon of the cherry juice from the jar. Coarsely chop the cherries–you should have about 1 cup chopped cherries.
3. In a stand mixer ﬁtted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium-high speed until smooth, then add the confectioners’ sugar and beat until light and ﬂuffy, about 3 minutes. With the mixer on medium-low, gradually add the ﬂour, scraping down the bowl once, until all the ﬂour has been absorbed. With the machine running, add the almond extract and just enough red food coloring to make a medium pink dough. Fold in the chopped cherries by hand.
4. Pour the granulated sugar into a small bowl. Using a cookie scoop, shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll them in the sugar. Place on the baking sheets about 2 inches apart and press lightly with the bottom of a glass or measuring cup to make 1½-inch rounds. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until ﬁrm and the bottoms just begin to brown.
5. Cool on a wire rack for 2 minutes. Then press one milk chocolate kiss in the center of each cookie. Cool completely before moving or storing. Serve.