- Servings: 8-10
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- ½ pound ham steak, cut into bite-size cubes
- 4 ounces sliced Jarlsberg cheese
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1½ cups panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ teaspoons herbes de Provence
- Sprigs of fresh thyme, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly coat a 9 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place the chicken in the baking dish. Layer the ham over the chicken. Layer the Jarlsberg over the chicken and ham.
3. In a large saucepan, melt half of the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the ﬂour to form a roux, being careful not to burn the mixture. When the roux is smooth, slowly whisk in the half-and-half. Switch to a wooden spoon and stir until the sauce is thick, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the lemon juice, mustard, kosher salt, paprika, and white pepper.
5. Bring the sauce to a low simmer, then remove from the heat.
6. Pour the sauce over the casserole, making sure it covers all the corners.
7. For the topping, melt the remaining butter in a medium microwaveable bowl. Stir in the panko, sea salt, and herbes de Provence. Sprinkle the mixture over the casserole.
8. Bake for 45 minutes until the top is golden and the casserole is hot.
9. Garnish with thyme and serve warm.
To cook the chicken, place the breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.