- Servings: 18 bars
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup plus ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, cream the unsalted butter and 1⁄3 cup of the granulated sugar with a whisk. Beat in the sour cream, egg, and salt. Stir in the ﬂour and mix until a soft dough forms.
3. Spread half the dough into the bottom of the prepared baking dish, pressing down lightly into an even layer.
4. In another large bowl, combine the apples, ½ cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, and the cardamom.
5. Spread the apple mixture evenly over the dough in the baking dish and cover with the remaining dough.
6. In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar, and remaining
½ teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over the dough.
7. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden brown.
8. Cool in the baking dish, then cut into bars.
9. Serve with vanilla ice cream.