A recipe that’s both crispy and creamy at the same time? That’s what you get when you enjoy these homemade wontons. With a crispy outside and a soft cream cheese center, these are one of those appetizers that’ll be gone before all the guests have even arrived.
- Makes: 12 wontons
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- ½ (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch sea salt
- 12 wonton wrappers (see note)
- Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- Plum sauce and/or sweet and sour sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, scallion, lemon pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and sea salt. Using a small ice cream scoop, place a teaspoon-size ball of cream cheese mixture in the center of each wrapper. Dip your finger in water and moisten the corners of the wrapper, then fold up and seal.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the wontons and fry until golden brown on each side, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly. Serve with plum sauce or sweet and sour sauce, or both!
If you can’t find wonton wrappers, feel free to cut an egg roll wrapper into 4 small squares.