- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 (8.5-ounce) package corn bread mix
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely diced carrot 1⁄3 cup finely diced celery
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole milk or half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt 1⁄8 teaspoon poultry
- seasoning or dried thyme
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast (see Note)
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
1. Preheat a Belgian electric wafﬂe iron. Preheat the oven to 200ºF.
2. For the wafﬂes: In a small bowl, combine the corn bread mix, egg, milk, and vegetable oil and whisk until smooth. Set aside while the wafﬂe iron heats.
3. For the topping: In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the ﬂour over the vegetables and cook, stirring, until the ﬂour has been completely absorbed, about 1 minute. Gradually stir in the milk,
salt, and poultry seasoning and cook, stirring, until the mixture has thickened, about 3 minutes. Pour into an oven-safe dish.
4. Stir the cooked chicken and peas into the topping and keep warm in the heated oven.
5. Use half the wafﬂe mixture to make the ﬁrst wafﬂe, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Remove the wafﬂe and transfer it to the oven to keep warm while you make the second wafﬂe.
6. To serve, place two quarters of each wafﬂe on each serving plate and top with a scoop of the chicken mixture. Serve immediately.
To cook the chicken, place 3 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes. Cut into cubes.