If you want to ensure that everyone is a part of the clean plate club this fall, these mashed potatoes are a must. And best of all, your slow cooker does most of the work for you!
- Servings: 6-8
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4-5 hours
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 (8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3-4 tablespoons whole milk
- Fresh thyme, for garnish
- Spray the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Rinse the potato pieces in cold water and place them in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in 3 cups of water, then sprinkle ¼ cup of the butter pieces across the top of the potatoes.
- Cover and cook the potatoes on High for 4 to 5 hours, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Carefully drain into a colander. Return the potatoes to the slow cooker. Add the remaining butter and the cream cheese. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until they reach the desired consistency. Add the milk to thin the potatoes as needed. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh thyme.