- Servings: 6-8
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour plus 20 minutes chill time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 6 tablespoons plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt 6 tablespoons unsalted
- butter, cold, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 pounds Bosc or Bartlett pears, cored and cut into
- ½-inch wedges
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice plus 2 teaspoons grated zest
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
Vanilla Mascarpone Whipped Topping
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ¼ cup sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF and butter a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
2. For the cobbler dough: Whisk together the ﬂour, 6 tablespoons of the sugar, the baking powder, and salt. Scatter the butter cubes over the ﬂour mixture and cut in with a pastry cutter until the dough looks like coarse cornmeal. Stir together ½ cup of the cream and the egg yolk. Add to the ﬂour mixture and toss with a fork until the ingredients come together.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly ﬂoured surface and knead gently together. Wrap and let rest in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
4. For the ﬁlling: While the dough rests, combine all the ﬁlling ingredients and pour into the baking dish.
5. Pat the dough out, tear or cut into 3-inch pieces, and place them on the ﬁlling. Brush the dough with the remaining 1 tablespoon cream and sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until bubbling and golden. Let cool slightly.
6. For the vanilla mascarpone whipped topping: Whip together the mascarpone, cream, and vanilla until combined. Add the sugar slowly and beat until ﬂuffy and you have soft peaks. Serve on top of the warm cobbler.