Chowders are soups that tend to be thickened or mixed with milk or cream. Because cheeseburgers already have their fair share of dairy, this kind of dinner-to-chowder conversion is a natural! Feel free to sub in the cheese of your choice if you prefer something like mozzarella or Swiss.
- Yield: Serves 6-8
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 pound small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup beef broth
- 12 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut into small pieces
- 8 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled, for garnish
- 2 hamburger buns, toasted and torn in pieces, for garnish
- In a large pot, put in the beef, onion, celery, and pepper over medium heat. Cook for 8 minutes, until the meat is cooked through completely. Carefully drain off any fat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the ﬂour and cook until all the ﬂour has been absorbed. Stir in the milk, potatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the cheese and stir until it has melted and the soup is well combined.
- Ladle into bowls and top each with crumbled bacon and toasted bun pieces. Serve.