- Servings: 1
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 thick slice of bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Using a biscuit cutter or can, cut a hole in the center of the bread and set aside.
2. In a cast-iron or nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
3. When the butter has melted, place the bread in the skillet with the smaller bread circle next to it.
4. Crack the egg directly in the hole of the bread.
5. Cook for 30 seconds or a bit longer before ﬂipping over.
6. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then ﬂip and salt and pepper again. Turn the bread circle to brown the second side as well.
7. Cook until the bread is golden and the egg yolk starts to set up but is still soft. Try not to break the yolk.
8. Carefully transfer to a plate and serve with the cut-out piece of bread to dip into the yolk.