- Servings: 10-12
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans 1 large egg, beaten
- Pinch kosher salt
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. For the cake: In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar, cream cheese, and butter on medium-low speed until light. Add the egg and white and beat well. Blend in the vanilla. In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk and sour cream.
3. On low speed, add the flour mixture to the cream cheese mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk mixture in 2 batches; beat until blended (do not overmix).
4. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a wire rack. Lower the oven temperature to 325°F.
5. For the topping: In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir until the mixture is smooth. Stir in ½ cup of the pecans, egg, and salt. Using a wooden skewer, poke several holes in the cake. Pour the topping over the cake. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup pecans on top. Bake for 10 minutes.
6. Let the cake cool completely in the pan. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Slice and serve.