- Servings: 4-6
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced, plus sliced jalapeño for garnish
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can RoTel tomatoes with chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 lime, halved, plus lime wheels for garnish
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, jalapeño, and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the chicken breast, broth, RoTel tomatoes, oregano, and cumin. Stir well and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer gently for 1 hour.
3. Carefully remove the chicken breast from the pot and shred the meat with two forks. Return the meat to the pot. Squeeze the lime juice into the soup and add the cilantro. Stir to combine.
4. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with sliced jalapeños and lime wheels and serve.