- Servings: 8-10
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50-65 minutes
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 11⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen chopped okra
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1–2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1–2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1–2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (see Note)
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 bay leaves
- Cooked white rice, for serving Hot sauce, for serving
1. In a large Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium- high heat. Whisk in the ﬂour. Cook, whisking and stirring
continuously, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the roux takes on a dark brown color. Be careful not to burn the roux!
2. Add the bell peppers, celery, onion, garlic, and okra. Mix until combined. Cook, stirring every 10 to 15 seconds, until the vegetables start to soften, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the sausage, tomatoes, Creole seasoning, thyme, cayenne, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for
5 minutes more.
4. Gradually add the broth, Worcestershire sauce, shredded chicken, shrimp, and bay leaves.
5. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the shrimp are fully cooked and the vegetables are tender.
6. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Remove the bay leaves.
7. Serve with rice and hot sauce.
To cook the chicken, place 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and shred.