- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups finely sliced red onion
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon sugar Kosher salt
- ½ cup chicken broth, low-sodium preferred
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar, plus more as needed
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. For the chicken: Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water and pour into a pie plate or shallow bowl. Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper in another pie plate or shallow bowl.
2. Pound the chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap until they’re not more than ½ inch thick. Dredge the chicken ﬁrst in the egg and then in the crumb mixture, patting with your ﬁngers until each piece is evenly and completely coated.
3. In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
4. For the cabbage: In the same skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the cabbage and red onion and cook, tossing for
1 minute. Add the caraway seeds, sugar, and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes, until onion is softened. Add the chicken broth, partially cover the pan, and cook until the cabbage is tender, about 3 minutes more. Remove the lid and add the red wine vinegar, stirring until the liquids have almost completely evaporated. Taste and add salt or vinegar to balance the ﬂavors. Garnish with parsley and serve.