Pie filling is so multi-purpose, even finding use in this homemade coffee cake recipe! The addition of almonds adds a light, buttery touch that keeps this dish cozy yet classy.
- Yield: Serves 12
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35–45 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup finely chopped almonds
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the melted butter and stir until the mixture is crumbly. Transfer ½ cup of the dry mixture to a small bowl, add the almonds, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and almond extract together. Add to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour the batter into the baking dish. Spread the cherry pie filling over the top. Sprinkle the reserved almond mixture over the pie filling.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden and the cake is set. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice and serve.