- Serves: 6
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 2½ cups water
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- First, use half the butter to saute’ the onions until translucent.
- Add the other half of the butter then the flour to make the roux, mixing constantly until golden brown. The best way to make a good roux is to use a whisk and make sure the butter does not burn.
- Then, add the water and bouillon and continue to whisk until desired color and consistency. Continuous stirring is needed to prevent lumps from forming. Add black pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until thickened.