Deli salads can be deceptively high in calories, particularly the ones with a mayonnaise base. One way to create a lighter version of your favorite deli salad is to replace half the mayonnaise with yogurt. You still get that sweet, creamy taste without weighing the dish down, allowing you to indulge in an extra helping guilt-free!
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus ½ teaspoon
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 pound fresh cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- In a large pot, bring water and 1 tablespoon of the salt to a boil. Drop the peas into the water for 3 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon or wire-mesh sieve.
- In the same boiling water, boil the cauliﬂower for 3 minutes. Lift it out with a slotted spoon and run it under cold water to cool.
- In the same boiling water, boil the broccoli for 2 minutes. Lift it out as with the cauliﬂower and run it under cold water to cool.
- In a small frying pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until browned and lightly crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain well on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt to create a dressing.
- When the vegetables have cooled, toss with the dressing. Taste for seasoning. Add the bacon and mozzarella cheese, and stir gently until well mixed.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to eat.