- Servings: 9
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
2. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter with ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the lemon zest on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla, and almond extract.
3. In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of the flour. In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining 1¾ cups flour with the baking powder and salt. On low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 batches, beating until combined. Fold in the blueberries. Spread the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar over the batter.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.