- Servings: 8
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45-60 minutes
- 1 large head garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Kosher salt
- 11/3 cups half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives, plus extra for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. For the roasted garlic: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Cut off the top of the garlic head, exposing the cloves. Drizzle with the oil. Wrap the head of garlic in aluminum foil and roast for 30 to 40 minutes, until a center clove is soft when a paring knife is inserted. Let cool slightly, then squeeze out the cloves. Mash them with a fork and set aside.
3. For the mashed potatoes: Put the potatoes and a pinch of salt in a large saucepan and add cold water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender.
4. Pour the half-and-half into a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave until warm, about 1 minute, or pour into a saucepan and heat until warm, about 3 minutes.
5. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Mash the potatoes with a potatomasher, thenbeatwithahandmixeruntilthedesiredconsistency is reached.
6. Add the warmed half-and-half, roasted garlic cloves, butter, sour cream, cheese, chives, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper and beat until incorporated. Sprinkle with chives and serve.