- Servings: 8
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 65-75 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ pound sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 carrots, diced
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire- roasted diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon herbes de Provence
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¾ cup quick-cooking barley
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the beef, onion, mushrooms, and carrots and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the beef is browned.
2. Add the broth, tomatoes with their juices, bay leaf, thyme, herbes de Provence, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add the peas and barley. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes more, until the barley is tender.
4. Remove the bay leaf, ladle into bowls, and serve.