- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hours’ refrigeration
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 40 mini buttermilk pancakes, homemade or store-bought
- 2 bananas, thinly sliced
- ½ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
1. Lightly coat an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Whisk together the eggs, cream, maple syrup, and vanilla.
2. Layer half of the pancakes in the pan and scatter 1 sliced banana and half of the chocolate chips on top. Pour half of the egg mixture over the pancakes. Repeat with the remaining pancakes, banana, chocolate chips, and egg mixture. Cover the dish with plastic wrap
frozen and thawed and refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Half an hour before you’re ready to bake the casserole, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Remove the plastic wrap and cover the dish with foil. Bake the casserole, covered, for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
If you prefer a basic buttermilk pancake casserole, remove the chocolate chips. I love how mini pancakes look; I think they are adorable! But of course you can use full-size pancakes and cut them in quarters before placing them in the baking dish.