- Servings: 8
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for the pans
- 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2½ teaspoons ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 13/4 cups packed light brown sugar 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional) Assorted sprinkles (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened but still cool
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. For the spice cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans well with cooking spray, then lightly dust with flour and shake out the excess.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves.
3. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the brown sugar, oil, and applesauce on medium until combined.
4. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat to combine. Add half of the flour mixture and mix on low until combined. Blend in the milk, then add the remaining flour mixture and mix until combined.
5. Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about
30 minutes. Let cool in the pans for several minutes, then run a knife around the edges and invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. For the cream cheese frosting: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until well blended.
7. Level the tops of the cakes as needed. Place a cake layer on a cake plate. Spread some cream cheese frosting over the cake in an even layer. Add the second cake layer and frost the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle the pecans and sprinkles on top, if desired. Slice and serve.