The combination of sweet and tart apple flavors from the Fuji and Granny Smith apples, respectively, adds dimension to this apple dessert. We’ve also added in touches of apple butter and apple pie spice to help round out the flavor and taste better than anything you’d find in the frozen food aisle.
- Serves: 6–8
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 Granny Smith apples, diced
- 4 Fuji apples, 3 diced and 1 sliced for garnish
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon apple butter
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 6 large croissants, cut into chunks
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon apple pie spice
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add both sugars and stir until combined.
- Add the apples, reserving the sliced apple for garnish, and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the apples begin to soften.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of the apple butter and the cornstarch and remove from the heat.
- Spread the croissant pieces in the bottom of the baking dish and top with the apple mixture.
- Combine the cream, eggs, vanilla, apple pie spice, and remaining apple butter and pour over the apples.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Top with the confectioners’ sugar, garnish with apple slices, and serve.