- Serves: 8
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 3 eggs
- 6 cups flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 2 cups of warm water.
- Add eggs, flour, salt, sugar and lard to yeast mixture.
- Mix well.
- Cover with a tea towel and let rise until doubled.
- Roll out to ½ inch thick, cutting with a donut cutter.
- Let rise again, 30–45 minutes.
- Fry until golden on one side then flip and do the other side. This takes just a few minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels and dip in glaze.
- For the glaze: Mix corn syrup, vanilla, powdered sugar and 2 T. hot water together.
- If consistency is not thin enough, add the other tablespoon water.
- Roll donuts in glaze while still warm.