- Serves: 4-6
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1-2 hours
- ½ cup dry split peas, sorted and rinsed
- ½ cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
- ¼ cup pearl barley
- ¼ cup dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup small pasta, ditalini or tubetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 quarts water
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced
- tomatoes, undrained
- In a 1½ pint jar, layer the first seven ingredients in the order listed. Seal.
- If you’re giving this to someone as a gift, print or write out the remaining recipe instructions and attach to the jar. And you’re done! If you’re preparing this recipe yourself, follow the
- Remove pasta from the top of jar to be used later.
- In a large pot, brown ground beef and drain.
- Return cooked ground beef to the pot, add the water, tomatoes, and the remaining soup ingredients except the pasta.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add pasta and simmer for 20–25 minutes or until pasta, peas, lentils and barley are tender.
Feel free to add other vegetables such as carrots, celery, onions to the soup.