- Serves: 8
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 1 hour
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 pound fresh cauliflower
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 4 ounces sharp Cheddar in 1″ dice (about 1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cut cauliflower and broccoli, chopping the stems and cutting florets into bite size pieces.
- In a large pot bring 4 quarts of water and 1 Tablespoon salt to the boil. Drop peas into the water just for 1 minute, then lift with a slotted spoon or wire mesh sieve and drain.
- In the same boiling water, boil cauliflower for 3 minutes, then lift out and drain, running under cold water to cool the vegetables. In the same boiling water, boil the broccoli about 2 minutes and drain and cool.
- In a small fry pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until browned and lightly crisp. Drain well on paper towels.
- When vegetables have cooled, toss with the dressing and taste for seasoning. Add bacon and cheese and stir gently until well mixed. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day before serving.
- You can substitute 1 cup cubed smoked ham or smoked turkey instead of bacon.
- Blanching the vegetables has two effects: 1) it makes the salad more colorful as the peas and broccoli brighten in color from the blanching. 2) Their flavor is less pronounced after this brief cooking, making the salad more attractive to some people who don’t like the strong flavor of the “cabbage vegetables.”
- The vegetables need to be chilled before stirring in the mayo for food safety reasons.