Start this dish on the stove and end by baking it in the oven for the perfect finish. If you’ve been nervous to try shrimp, this is a foolproof way to incorporate this omega-3 fatty acid and protein rich shellfish into your weeknight dinner rotation
- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 4 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup shredded low-fat pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Grate 1 teaspoon zest from the lemon and set aside, then cut the lemon into 8 wedges.
- In a large pot, bring 5 cups water to a boil with the bay leaf, peppercorns, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Drop 2 of the lemon wedges into the water, add the shrimp, and boil for 2 to 3 minutes, until the shrimp begin to turn pink. Drain the shrimp and discard the lemon and peppercorns. Reserve the bay leaf for garnish, if desired.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked rice and shrimp and stir in the soups, half of the cheese, the lemon pepper seasoning, lemon zest, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Spoon into the baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the mixture is heated through. Serve with the remaining lemon wedges.