Red pepper flakes and fresh ginger add the “kick” to this kung pao chicken. Paired with fresh snow peas and crunchy roasted peanuts, this chicken recipe packs a punch of flavor.
- Servings: 5
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced 1 orange bell pepper, diced 2 green onions, thinly sliced 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 9 ounces snow peas
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar 2 tablespoons ketchup
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup chicken broth, low- sodium preferred
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce 1 tablespoon cornstarch 1⁄3 cup roasted peanuts
- 6 cups cooked long-grain white rice, for serving
1. In a wok or large skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5–6 minutes, until almost no pink remains
2. Add the red, yellow, and orange bell peppers; green onions; garlic; and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the snow peas and red pepper ﬂakes and cook for an additional minute.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the rice vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, sugar, chicken broth, sesame oil, hoisin sauce, and cornstarch, then add to the wok with the peanuts and cook for 1 minute until the sauce thickens.
5. Serve over hot rice.